Wednesday, September 21, 2011

A Sandwich is a Sandwich but this is a Meal











I have not come up with a good name for this dish yet so any ideas would be appreciated. The idea was to replicate a lot of the flavor of a Cuban sandwich without the sandwich portion. Kerrie and I are trying some variation of the primal diet so a straight up Cuban wasn't really an option. Neither is roasting a pork shoulder on a Wednesday. We had some pork tenderloins thawed and ready to roll so they became the base. Add some ham, Swiss mustard and pickles on off you go. I marinated the pork for a few hours and then seared it on the grill. Then I sliced it on an angle to get bigger pieces than your standard pork tenderloin medallion.       
Once that was done I brushed on some mustard  and laid some pickles on top of each slice. Topped off with some ham and Swiss and its off to the oven.                                                                                                                                              

 Ingredients
For the Pork
2 Pork Tenderloins
olive oil
lime juice
tequila
Adobo with cumin 
  


For the Rest 
6-8 slices of ham
6-8 slices of swiss cheese
sliced dill pickles


Do this at least an hour ahead
Rinse and pat the pork dry, rub it with some olive oil and then rub with adobo. Put the pork tenderloins in a bag and then pour in a shot or two of tequila and a shot or two of lime juice. Let the pork rest in the fridge for at least an hour.


When your pork is ready, preheat your grill to medium high. Brown the pork on all sides, 3-4 minutes per side should be enough. Preheat your oven to 375. Once the pork is nicely browned remove the it from the grill and let it rest for a few minutes before slicing on a bias and laying it in a pan.



Brush it with the mustard of your choice, I use plain ole yellow mustard as that is what I prefer on my Cuban sandwiches.Lay a few pickles on each piece and then layer on the ham and cheese. I recommend slicing the ham and cheese to approximately the same size as your pork. 


Bake it in the oven for 20 minutes or so, longer if the pork is not cooked through.  On this first attempt I don't think I grilled the pork long enough as it took longer to bake than I wanted. If you look at the picture I would recommend you have your pork cooked through a little more than I did to reduce baking time. Do not cook it all the way through on the grill otherwise it will dry out in the oven
 

2 comments:

A Beer for the Shower said...

That. Looks. Amazing. I don't know if I can help you with a name, but the first thought that came to my head upon seeing that beast was 'the man's sandwich.'

Best panini press said...

Best sandwich press
panini presses
pannini press reviews
best panini grill
best panini maker
large grill press
best panini press grill