Monday, April 16, 2012

Seared Scallops with a Citrus Sake Mignoette

Scallops are delicious. That is all.
OK Perhaps a bit more. As time goes on I tend to do less and less with scallops in order to enjoy their natural flavor. Scallops have become my favorite kind of sushi and when I get good ones at home I tend to eat one or two just by themselves out of the paper. I found this recipe and thought that the bright citrusy flavors would be a wonderful way to enjoy the scallops with a great punch of flavor, but not so overwhelming that you lose the scallop.
I simply pan seared the scallops  and topped with as much of the sauce as I wanted.



Ingredients:
1/4 cup sake (dry)

1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
2 Tbsp fresh orange juice
2 Tbsp grapefruit juice (fresh)
1 Tbsp shallot (minced)
1 tsp fresh ginger (minced)
1/8  tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper (cracked)
1 green onion (thinly sliced)


Sauces are rapidly becoming my secret weapon in cooking. Once you start off with a good ingredient and prepare it well, the sauce is what changes it from "hey great scallops" to  "Wow"

1 comment:

A Beer for the Shower said...

I'm absolutely making this one ASAP. I love a good scallop, and while I have an arsenal of my own good sauces, I've never tried making them with sake. Seems obvious now in retrospect.

Also, good call on the farmer's market for good tuna. Or scallops for that matter. I made that cilantro ginger tuna recipe with some King Soopers tuna we got on sale... and yeah, it was on sale for a reason. Still a great recipe, but I'm gonna have to try it with better quality fish next time.