Monday, May 31, 2010

Celery Root Slaw

I really like celery root, it is one of those things that I really get excited about when I see it on the table at my CSA. If you don't know what a CSA is, or how to find one, take a look here.
Being a part of a CSA has really challenged me in the kitchen, it forces me to let the ingredients on hand drive my recipes rather than shopping for specific meals. It has been refreshing change for me for the the past few years. Add that to the general level of goodness provided by a CSA and it is a no-brainer in my world.

I am a Food Network junkie; they have a lot of dead weight shows but I am always picking up new recipes and techniques that make me a better cook. While watching Spice and Easy I realized I really don't like the host, she creeps me out when she whispers things at the camera. Instead of whispering "I love wasabi" I keep expecting her to whisper something like "I love to eat the souls of children." Don't tell me secrets, lady; just make with the food. However, the recipe for Celery Root Slaw called to me. I tend to like vinegar-style slaw rather than sweet and creamy slaw but the combination in here was too tempting to resist.

The end result was on the "meh" side. It tasted very much like plain jane coleslaw. I added much more wasabi than it called for and, while I got a bit of heat at the end, it was just OK. I even added some celery seeds to try to bring out the celery root flavor but it was far too muted. the one thing that did bring it to life was smashing up some wasabi-coated peanuts and sprinkling them on top, the crunch and the heat was nice but didn't really come together with coleslaw.
I won't write it off as a recipe but it definitely needs some work to bring past regular old coleslaw.

No comments: