Monday, May 31, 2010

I I Love Love Double Double Salmon Sliders.

So I have been itching to make these fantastic Scandinavian double salmon and dill cakes from one of my favorite cookbooks: A Flash in the Pan: Fast, Fabulous Recipes in a Single Skillet. I have made them before and really enjoyed them. I took a look through the book today and I have made 6 dishes from this book and they have all been delicious. I definitely recommend it.

The original recipe calls for:
6 slices of rye bread torn into small pieces
12 ounces skinless salmon fillet cut into 1- inch chunks
2 ounces smoked salmon, cut into one inch pieces
2 1/2 Tbsp Dijon
2 Tbsp chopped fresh dill
1/2 tsp pepper
2 Tbsp butter
4 thin slices red onion
4 thin slices tomato

Run the bread through your food processor to make fresh breadcrumbs, set them aside. Run the salmon through your food processor and mix with all the other ingredients but the butter, onion and tomato.

Add the bread crumbs to the salmon mixture and process again, then form into patties and fry in the butter. Serve on the remaining rye bread with onions and tomatoes.

They are great.

I decided to make a variation of these and turn them into sliders to serve for lunch for visiting family.

Honestly, I'm not huge on the whole slider craze that seems to be happening. I like cute little food as much as the next guy, which is to say, not very much. I'm never going to eat just one slider, I'm going to have two, maybe 3 if they are great. So I wind up eating just as much.

Regardless, I tweaked the recipe a bit and skipped the rye bread. I planned to serve them on whole wheat rolls so I wanted to eliminate that element. I added some lemon juice, ginger powder and panko bread crumbs along with black pepper. I skipped salt because the smoked salmon should have plenty. Follow the recipe above with these substitutions and you will have sliders ready for grilling.

I made a couple of mayo blends to go along with them so I could bring some novel flavor elements to the sliders. Three kinds of heat:

Preheat the grill, then turn down to medium or medium low. I laid some foil down on the grill with some non stick spray and cooked them on foil. 5-7 minutes was really all it took for them to firm up. They were delicious. The dill still jumped out at you as did the smoked salmon but both worked very well with the heat from the different mayos. Kerrie put some lemon slices on the table for drinks and they wound up being a very tasty addition to the sliders. I did not serve the tomato or onion either, though they would have been a nice add on they were not missing, and we had a tossed green salad on the side.

Something on the order of a Gewurztraminer would have been a winner with these as it stands up to spice very well.

No comments: