Friday, February 25, 2011

Thai Style Roasted Chicken with Stir Fried Vegetables and Mahogany Rice

I lifted this chicken recipe almost entirely from Smitten Kitchen
Smitten Kitchen is what this blog hopes to be when it grows up. The Photography is awesome.
Me I take snapshots with my phone.
 Deb has a love of baked goods that I don't share but her recipes always look amazing, even when I know it is a recipe I would not personally like.

So tonight I borrowed her Thai Chicken Legs and served them up with mahogany rice, which was new to me and a bag of stir fry veggies with additional baby corn (which my daughter and I love) and water chestnuts (which I love)

I did not really vary her recipe much with one significant exception. I had no hoisin sauce in the house, a situation that must be remedied, but I had to punt. So I made my own hoisin sauce which was delicious, but it's flavor and consistency are the main reason why I think my version of this dish did not jump up and down and say "Hey I am Asian inspired food"

This hoisin sauce is the same as I use on the Hoisin bbq chicken a few weeks back, I just made a much smaller batch and replaced the hoisin in the Smitten Kitchen recipe with mine.

The end result was absolutely delicious. Fish sauce has been absent form my life for a few years for no reason other than I ran out and never remembered to replace it. I adore fish sauce, it's earthy salty taste is almost the definition of Umami. It just tastes good. Again mine did not really scream Thai but I will take an incredible roasted chicken no matter what the flavor profile was supposed to be.

The stir fry was just a bagged stir fry amped up with some garlic, ginger and sesame oil. And the addition of the baby corn and water chestnuts.

The mahognay rice was a new one for me, Kerrie had been reading about it so we bought a bag the other day and tonight was it's maiden voyage. I cooked it in my steamer like I would brown rice and it was really tasty. The color makes it difficult to not think of wild rice when you dig in to it and that is not completely off base. It has a lot of the bite of wild rice but the flavor of brown rice.

All in all it was a darn tasty meal.

No comments: