Monday, August 16, 2010

Cabbage with Pancetta

This is a quick and simple side that I have done a few different ways. This variant was served alongside Ratatouille this weekend. The cabbage we get from our CSA is really delicious but Kerrie is not a huge cabbage fan so sometimes I struggle to use it up.  I could eat most of this myself.

This time around I used

1 small head cabbage
1/4 - 1/2 cup of chopped pancetta (as will all things pancetta you could use regular bacon but it's not quite the same)
1/2 Tbsp coriander seeds

slice the cabbage into 1/4 inch thick slices and set aside. Crush the coriander seeds in a mortar and pestle (yes seriously, ancient tools still rock)
Heat up a small frying pan and add the crushed coriander seeds, dry toast for a minute or two until you can smell them, then add your chopped pancetta. Cook until the pancetta is beginning to brown and has released some of its fat then add your cabbage. Toss and cook until the cabbage is softened but not completely cooked through.

This was the first time I used coriander for this dish, I typically use cumin seeds or caraway seeds, coriander brings a nice citrusy note that I really enjoyed but all three are excellent choices.

No comments: