Friday, September 17, 2010

Roasted Eggplant and Feta

I am LOVING all the eggplant we're getting this summer! Haven't gotten sick of it yet.

Well, it was time for something a little different. But, I still wanted to use what we have in abundance, which is eggplant, tomatoes and peppers. And, I wanted something healthy (which means nothing fried, alas). I had some feta in the fridge and did some poking around online, and this is ultimately what I came up with after combining a few recipes.

1 large or 2 small eggplant, peeled and diced into 3/4" cubes
2 small green bell peppers, diced
1 quart cherry tomatoes, halved and seeded
3-4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
fresh herbs
olive oil
salt and pepper
Cooked grain, 4 servings
Feta

Preheat oven to 400F.

Make sure all the veggies are of similar size so they cook evenly. Combine all the veggies and garlic on a baking sheet with several good glugs of olive oil, sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper. Stir in herbs (I used about 2 Tbsp of Mark's latest batch of basil pesto) and mix well.

Roast at 400 for around 30 minutes. At this point, I added the leaves from 2 sprigs of fresh oregano and left it in the oven, turned off, to keep warm for a few minutes. The oregano cooked just a little bit but was still nice and fresh.

Spoon cooked grain (I used whole wheat couscous) into a bowl; top with veggies; sprinkle with crumbled feta and serve.

Mark's feedback, as with most of my vegetarian dishes, was that it would be really good with meat. :) Specifically lamb. However, I thought it was good as-is. This made 4 healthy sized servings for a main dish, could serve more as a side.

No comments: