Tuesday, June 22, 2010

CSA Season Begins

We made our first pick up of the CSA season today and I am going to use the blog to help organize and plan how to use all the fantastic produce we get. For those of you not familiar with what a CSA is you can take a look here. Our local CSA is Stones Throw Farm
This is our third year and it has always been a challenge to eat or process everything we get without some waste, and I really hate to waste good fresh food. So my challenge is going to be to list all of the produce we get each week and do some meal planning to ensure we use it up or preserve it.

So on to week one, we got:
baby lettuce,
Red Russian kale
mustard greens
peas
garlic scapes
Yukon Gold potatoes
fresh tarragon.

So far we have a few dishes to transform things

Warm Salad of Mustard Greens and Black-Eyed Peas

Red Russian Kale and Red Onion Savory Breakfast Squares Recipe

The lettuce is destined for salads and the peas and garlic scapes will wind up in a stir fry, I think. 

Which really leaves just the potatoes and tarragon, I'm thinking some kind of a fish dish will tie both ingredients together nicely, I have some haddock in the freezer that may do the trick.


I will update things with recipes and tweaks as we get through the week and try to make this a weekly habit.

 


No comments: