Thursday, June 10, 2010

Tofu Tacos


We still had some cilantro, pico, avocado, and a lime leftover from Mark's burgers the other night, and I had some tofu to use up (plus I wanted a couple nights of meatless meals after those burgers), so we decided that meant tacos.

A friend of mine, Jenny, is a vegetarian and a big tofu fan, so thanks to her for sharing preparation tips! I wrapped a package of extra-firm tofu in a towel and placed a heavy cookbook on top for about 10 minutes. Then I cut it into small cubes (about the size of dice) and placed them in a plastic bag. I added a splash of lime juice, another splash of olive oil, some fresh lime zest, 2 Tbsp torn fresh cilantro, 1 tsp chili powder, 1/2 tsp ground cumin, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper and let the tofu marinate for an hour or so in the fridge.

Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add 2 cloves chopped garlic and 1 small onion, minced. Cook until it just starts to brown. Add tofu, stir well and crumble a bit more until it's heated through and the liquid has absorbed.

In a separate, dry, pan, heat your tortillas. We used corn because they're whole grain, but I love flour tortillas too. Top warmed tortillas with your filling, grate a little pepper jack onto it, then add pico or salsa, sliced peppers, sliced avocados, your favorite taco toppings.

I like tacos for all the toppings, not so much for the meat, so I was happy with this recipe. Mark of course likes the meat for itself, but said these were still good. :)

No comments: