Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Hamburger or sandwich rolls

For our "traditional" dinner Monday night of burgers, salad and corn on the cob, I decided to make my own rolls. I used the Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day recipe, begun 2 days before, and pulled off 4 small balls of dough, roughly the size of lemons. Stretched them out to 3.5" in diameter, and let rest on a floured stoneware pan for 20 minutes, covered with a dishtowel. Turned on the oven to 400 degrees F, and let the bread sit for another 20 minutes before putting it in the oven and baking for another 20 minutes. (40 min rest time, 20 min bake time). I did not add a pan of hot water to the oven like I do when making a crusty loaf because I don't like really crusty sandwich rolls, I like them a bit softer.

Let the rolls rest at least half an hour after baking before you slice into them, otherwise they'll crumble and never hold the burger.

I have also made this recipe for Beautiful Burger Buns from King Arthur Flour and they're excellent. I had the artisan dough made up and wanted to use that recipe to show its versatility.

We served the grass-fed beef burgers on homemade rolls with Sweet Grass Farm's bacon, some local bleu cheese; tossed salad and market-fresh NY corn on the cob rounded out the meal.