Thursday, July 22, 2010

Local Scotch Eggs?

I have been trying to figure out what to do with the remaining 1/2 lb of sausage we bought at the market and it popped into my head today. 

Scotch eggs, why not? I have always wanted to make my own Scotch eggs. A Scottish gentleman I met once upon a time assured me, in a loud alcohol laden voice,  that "Scotch eggs have f*#@ all to do with Scotland" so I won't make any silly references to enjoying them in a kilt or any other such thing.

What is a Scotch egg you say? Well wikipedia to the rescue. 

I used
1/2 lb bulk sausage form Sweet Grass Farms
panko bread crumbs
4 hard boiled eggs
dried sage
salt and pepper

Set up your deep fryer, or cast iron dutch oven, or whatever vessel you like to deep fry in. Any heavy bottom pot will work in a pinch but I love my cast iron dutch oven for a variety of applications but for frying it is hard to beat.

Mix some salt pepper and dried sage into about 1/2 cup of panko breadcrumbs
Beat one egg into a bowl and put your sausage on a plate

Peel your eggs and coat them in sausage, the stuff I used is an Italian sausage, the traditional version would use breakfast sausage, you are looking for a nice even coating about 1/4 inch thickness. Don't worry if it is thicker than that, but don't go to far. 

Dip them in eggs and roll in the breadcrumbs, then place them in the fryer two at a time. Cook for 5-7 minutes or so until they are just beyond golden brown, the whole thing should feel pretty solid if you tap it with your finger.

Slice and serve with hot sauce, or blue cheese, or ranch dressing or anything that strikes your fancy

No comments: